3.02.2011

Thinking Tuesday

Tuesday was Girl Scouts day.

This particular Tuesday was the day that our troop was celebrating World Thinking Day, and we had 'projects' due for our meeting.

For those of you who are Unschoolers, I don't have to explain how my guts turn into knots just at hearing the word 'project', or even worse, 'due'!
...oh, the horror!

Anyway, all of my personal opinions about the girl scouts organization and rituals aside, and choosing to ignore comments from friends that 'girl scout cookies are evil', (which I happen to agree with, but for an entirely different reason I'm sure),
I have chosen, as an unschooler and respectful parent, to give my kids the freedom to make their own decisions about what feels right for them, and right now, Miss T wants to be in Girl Scouts, and she is really enjoying herself, and experiencing some real growth, and I couldn't be happier about that, and would not do anything other than support her in that.

After all, isn't that what we Unschoolers believe in?



This is T giving her presentation about England. (which was of course the country she chose since Harry Potter was set there)
She did great!



All of the other girls books were really cute too, and it was interesting to see how differently each girl approached the project and what they chose to talk about.



Then they each got to tell everyone about the food they brought and we all shared in a multi-cultural feast!

All-in-all, I'd say it's not an experience that is going to negatively affect my unschooler, and I might even go so far as to say it was a good opportunity for learning, self-discovery, and growth! (I think it was for her, but I know it was for me)

I mean, if we don't stretch ourselves to support our children fully in something that we don't fully agree with or believe in, then maybe we're kinda missing the point?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment